Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick Blog #3

QUICK BLOG #3
An experience where I was privileged due to my class/socio-economic status:
I am lucky enough to be pretty privileged, I was able to attend a private high school and my parents are also able to pay my college tuition for me. Although I have been considerably privileged throughout my life, I sort of always liked to see myself in the middle, mostly because I attended a high school where class, your parent’s income, and money in general was very important. There were a lot of people that attended my high school that thoroughly enjoyed flashing their belongings around. Therefore, I have also experienced times when I felt oppressed or under-privileged due to my socio economic status. I went to a high school where a lot of people that come from a family with money and liked to act very ‘classy’ and show it off as much as possible, from the clothes they wore to the car they drove. It gets old and I never really liked all the competition. I’ve always thought modesty is what is the most ‘classy’. Nonetheless, I still felt oppressed when I wouldn’t keep up with the standards. However, I came to realize I didn’t even care what my socioeconomic class was, or what people saw it as because there is always going to be somebody who wants to show off their ‘class’ in any way that they can.
I experienced classism often in high school. Even in middle school, classism lingered in our social lives somewhere. In our very small town of Rye, there were a few kids whose parents resided in the trailerpark and unfortunately, it was always those kids who were teased the most. Whatever bus you rode depended upon what part of town you lived in, kids would even judge you based upon that! It’s a vicious world…After reflecting upon all these instances, I have come to terms with how prevalent classism really is in reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment