Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 19, 2011: Question M

I think that ageism exists because it is such a inconsistent form of discrimination. I think the roots of ageism exist in a sense that people experience age different as they grow old are indifferent to its harsh reality. While other forms of discrimination, race, or gender, are all constant for the ones being discriminated against as they fight to overcome it, ageism changes. As people get older as they suddenly start to experience that their age is beginning to transform into some type of burden and all of a sudden, they experience the prejudices of an ageist society. Ageism is easy to overlook because you experience it in such different forms throughout your life. Suddenly, you’re old and depend upon others for things you never thought you would need help with, like taking a shower or making yourself a meal. I feel like people don’t realize just how unfortunate it is that we do life in an ageist society, until it’s too late.

I’m torn between whether or not I would call myself an ageist. From the time I was in second grade through graduating high school I took piano lessons. We had six recitals each year. Three were for our families, and three were for the elderly at a nursing home. Each recital, the same elderly people would come and watch us and appreciated it so much. I even got to know a few of them once our faces became more and more familiar. I guess because of my experience with the elderly and my grandparents I have sort of always had a soft spot for the elderly. When I was in ninth and tenth grade I volunteered at two different elderly homes. I admit, my parents sort of made me, but in the end I really appreciated the valuable lessons I gained throughout my experiences. I feel like people often forget about this ism because people don’t realize how discrimination effects the elderly. We are all aware that sexism and racism exists, but no one ever really considers ageism until it is affecting them directly. I think people need to think more carefully about the small prejudices that they often don’t even realize. For example, how everyone complains about the elderly driving so slow. Just the other day, my sister and I were driving and saw this elderly woman going 60 mph in a 40, cranking a cig, and blasting music. We both looked at each other and said, “did you just see that?” Thinking back on that moment now makes me realize how people always portray elderly people the same, when that really isn’t so. I’m glad I got to learn a little bit more about ageism, because I think it’s important that people realize it’s impact, as it too often goes unnoticed.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that some elderly people beat their age and stay active but sad aspect is that the stereotype society don't do any good with them.

    ReplyDelete