Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11, 2011 Question G: Classism

I have always been aware of class and classism, as it as always sort of lingered somewhere among most aspects of my life. Although I have sort of always tried to ignore it, after watching ‘People Like Us’ I realized ignoring it is sort of the nose up attitude. I grew up in Rye Beach, NH, where many beautiful homes are and many wealthy families reside. My best friend in middle school was later our Governors daughter, she had a bowling ally in her basement and every toy a girl could imagine. My other best friend’s father was retired from the NFL. My sister’s best friend when she was young father owned the Marriot Hotel Chain, they had the biggest house I have ever seen. From a very young age, classism and wealth was always a social aspect of our lives in our very small town of Rye. I was aware of class at a very young age.

Although my father is a successful doctor, I always liked to consider myself somewhere in the middle. After watching this video, I know it is better that way. Who wants to exist in a world of I can, you can’t or I have and you don’t have? I don’t think anybody should feel entitled in any way to feel better than another individual based on social class. In high school, I attended a private high school where classism was also incorporated to our daily lives, it got really, really old. Whether or not you had a certain purse, or certain brand of jeans, it gave you a certain title or something. I can’t say that I think that classism is invisible in our culture, because it was always sort of there somewhere in my experience. After years of living in a world of materialism, this video reaffirmed my beliefs on why classism needs to be discussed more so others can realize the ignorant side of it. A person’s character should not be judged upon the car they drive, the home they live in, their job, and especially not their class. I think we can encourage more discussions about class through sharing of experience. The video incorporated many personal accounts of how people view classism and it really made me see it from different perspectives in both good and bad ways.

4 comments:

  1. I know I wouldn't want to live in a world like that haha. But we are living in the US, where we are ruled by capitalism. We all want to get money as fast as we can. All hope is not lost though. I hope we make our leaders change the way money is prioritized so that people would not have to die because of hunger or not having shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy how class surrounds our lives so much when we're younger. I remember when I was younger that I loved being the friend that had a big house or in the group of friends that lived in the "nice" looking houses. Now that I think about it, it's just silly and greedy. I can definitely relate to you about living in a materialistic world. I never want to be better than anyone else nor feel it, and I don't think anyone should feel better than another based on class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is AWFUL to not have enough money to purchase all that you need. When students come to me about wanting to be teachers, social workers or other low-paying jobs, I want, of course, to support their dreams. But another part of me feels it is important to0 raise the issue of class, because there is absolutely nothing cute about living paycheck to paycheck, even if society often romanticizes occupations that "help" people or provide services to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this country is ruled by capitalism. We are a country that prides itself on equality, yet many people cannot afford to eat and others can afford to feed thousands off of their yearly salary. This topic is so difficult because I don't believe that we should take money away from those who work hard to earn it, but I do think we need to place more emphasis on what really matters rather than materialism.

    ReplyDelete